We've lived in Utah, Nebraska, upper Michigan and now we've settled in Colorado...at least for now! Marley is 10, Isi is 6 and Enzo is 4!

Life is great!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Biggest Skeptic? The Biggest Fool.

Please take note of the time in which I am posting...yes, that's A.M.

So, last night Nathan and I decide to sit down to the computer together to watch one of our favorite shows, The Closer on TNT. It streamed in fabulously with, I think, only ONE stutter (we have great internet, so far!) We are enjoying our favorite shows via the internet to save on our expenses and avoid a large cable bill. I was pleased our "Evil plan worked" (adapted my favorite line, from National Treasure). Smart people, right?

Well, we have a habit of catching up on my email together because I get so many forwards from people and instead of just forwarding them all to Nathan, if we can, we just enjoy them together. (You can tell it's the middle of the night with this run-on sentence. I hope at least some of this email makes a lick a sense.)

Ok so, after our show we were sifting through some emails and came to an email from my mother which said...
"We will have to howl at Mars that night. That’s tomorrow morning actually.

Two moons on 27 August 27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for......... Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will Cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be Sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am . It will look like the earth has 2 moons. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it Again."

So, I say, "Wow, are we going to get up to see that?" Nathan was passive...I think the thought of waking himself up in the middle of the night for any reason sounded undesirable to him.

At first I was skeptical, mostly because of all the ridiculous grammar and typos in the email...yes, I copy and pasted. There are a number of random incorrect capitalization errors, and then there is "34.65M miles off earth" what does that even MEAN? And silly grammar at the beginning...it sounds like someone with English as their second language wrote it.

I just couldn't know if this was true. I mean, why would someone lie about that? Maybe to lure everybody out of their homes at exactly the same time? For what? And then what? Maybe it was some psycho's plan to lure ONE person out and so they sent a mass email hoping THAT person would get it and be dumb enough to wake themselves up and walk around outside in the middle of the night? Or...maybe it was true....really. Why would someone lie about that?

Then I debated on if I would even be able to see it? Sometimes these anomalies are only visible from certain locations (countries?).

Well, I figured I'd just try and see it. I set my phone alarm for 12:30 AM. I groggily, tried to ignore it when the alarm went off. I groggily got up and stumbled to the bathroom. Half awake now, I stumbled back to my room and got myself ready to go outside. Even got my glasses on. Like I would need glasses when there were going to be TWO moons! It's going to be like daylight out there. Right?

Wrong! Having not seen the moon yet here in Nebraska, but also having not been outside at night much yet, I looked. I looked EVERYWHERE! I looked straight up and saw patchy clouds...no problem...the shine of TWO moons would surely bust through wimpy patchy clouds. Nothing.

Well, maybe they are close to the horizon? So, I walk all the way around my apartment complex, looking to the sky, alternating straight up, North, South, East, West and then all over again. I probably looked like a loony to an apartment party on someone’s' balcony. And I probably looked like a loony to other people outside...maybe they were loonier than me? I got a little creeped out, but proceeded.

While looking up and across and all around I accidently step my left foot in a deep puddle and get my foot and the bottom of my pj's all wet. A small sacrifice and startle to see TWO moons...something "NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see Again!"

Starting to feel even more foolish once I make the full circle around the complex, trying not too look too crazy to the people coming home to a weird lady wondering around their parking lot, looking up down and all around in her red, snowflaked pj bottoms. I stop for one last up, down, all around look while I stand on an innocent peace of grass, when....the sprinklers turn on! Nice. No moons and I'm all wet.

Creeped out from screeches and laughter from the dark public park across the street and now half damp and left foot soaking wet I return to my apartment...a fool.

Now, a full hour from the time I woke myself up...I'm thinking...maybe I should go out and drive around? Maybe I just couldn't see it from here?

Nah, I'm going back to bed. And if ANYONE says they saw the TWO moons...I want proof!

7 comments:

Julie J. said...

I read mom's email to Andrea and she immediately looked it up and then I looked on snopes. It's a hoax. I emailed mom right away to let her know. I don't know why she didn't tell all the people she emailed. I guess I should have hit reply to all. Too bad about your fiasco. In the future, when in doubt go to snopes.com and find out the truth.

Becky said...

So, the time says 10:48pm but it was actually 1:48AM. Blogger must run on Cali time.

After I wrote this blog this morning I googled "Two moons" and About.com had a whole story on this email being old, from 2003.

I guess I learned my lesson. Don't trust my mother! Hee hee!

Sandy said...

SOOOOOORRRRRYYYYY!Didn't I say somewhere in the email, I wonder what year this was originally sent out?

The Wells said...

I woke up to go to the bathroom at 230 am and checked but I couldn't even see one moon, so I went back to bed.

Adam and Sarah said...

You're CRAZY! And that story makes me laugh. I wish I could have seen you in all your soaking wet sprinkler glory! HAHA!

Sandy said...

I love your new color scheme.

Sandy said...

I love your new color scheme.