We've lived in Utah, Nebraska, upper Michigan and now we've settled in Colorado...at least for now! Marley is 10, Isi is 6 and Enzo is 4!

Life is great!

Monday, December 17, 2007

Wicked


I love the music from the musical Wicked. I love the whole idea surrounding this play....basically, it is a preclude to the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_(musical). It's the story of how the wicked witch of the west became the wicked witch of the west!!! I've always liked the Wizard of Oz and I love broadway shows! So...

The play has intrigued me ever since I heard of it. I was an EFY counselor at BYU for 5 weeks in the summer of 2005 and at EVERY talent show the song "Popular" was performed. I asked one of the counselors, that was incharge of the talent show pretty steadily throughout the summer, about this song and he said that every talent show audition had AT LEAST 4 girls auditioning to singing "Popular" but they could only pick one per week. All of the ones they picked were really good!

I found out the song "Popular" was from a play called Wicked. The title alone intrigued me. I love the word wicked and tried to get it to catch on as a slang word in high school...but it was spelled with a "y" "wycked." I think it WAS a slang word for awhile in the 90's but, wasn't started by me....and it wasn't with a "y".

Anyway, I found out my cousin Amy had the novel Wicked (originally a novel, published in 1995; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_(novel)). I didn't read it because I was in school at the time and didn't have much time for recreational reading. But, my sister borrowed it from her and read it, and she really liked it. I think I'd like to read now!

I finally got the music, from a friend, for my birthday this year and have been listening to it ever since. Not constantly, of course, but, I REALLY like it. As I have listened to the music and have gotten the gist of the story, I have had a lot of questions.

My sister-in-law, Jill, convinced her mother and a few other ladies on the Freitas side of the family to drive down to LA just to see Wicked. I wish I had invited myself. They had a great time. But, since THEY had seen it I asked my mother-in-law some questions and she filled in some blanks for me. She didn't want to reveal too much though and spoil it for me...which I appreciated. The information she gave me though made me even more curious.

So, I have asked Julie some questions too! Remember, she read the book....she revealed a little more...but, again, not too much.

Well, last week I was listening to the music and wanted SO BADLY to SEE IT!! I googled "Summary of Wicked" and found a good synopsis and learned even more! (Here is the synopsis site http://mercy_bell.tripod.com/wickedsynopsis.html).


There are parts of the website that tell more detail and they are clearly marked "Spoiler" and when they are done revealing too much, it says "end of spoiler" and goes on with the synopsis. I wanted to read the spoilers because I want to know the whole story!!! But, I also like the element of surprise in movies and shows, etc.

I did break down and read one of the spoilers though. And my inference is that the spoilers have to do with elements that link the stories (The Wizard of Oz and Wicked). SO COOOOL!!!!!! I think the spoilers have to do with other things too though, just relating to the Wicked story...things that are inferred in the play and maybe not revealed until the end of the play...I don't know, but I like the idea!
I REALLY have to hold myself back from looking too far into it because I've looked at pictures from the musical and of course looked up other information online...but, I don't know if I want it spoiled. I want to be excited the whole time I watch it and surprised, etc. But, I just like it so much that I just want to know all about it! So, take the survey to the right and tell me if I should read all the spoilers or not...
My cousin Amy just saw it in LA on Saturday....I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be the last one, on planet earth, to see it.

4 comments:

Julie J. said...

I too want to see this play. Maybe we sould go together!

Adam and Sarah said...

I've been DYING to see it as well! We, as the in-law part of the family ought to go see it. Oh and by the way, thanks for having Nate call us to tell us what the baby is gonna be!! Congrats! :D

Natasha and Jesse said...

Wicked came to Columbus and several friends saw it and loved it! I should have gone too. I just borrowed the CD from the library and have heard several songs. I really enjoyed them. I hope you get to see it soon!!

Jun said...

I LOVE WICKED TOO! For days and days after I saw it, I listened to the CD. I still listen to it and sing out loud in my car (great place to do it). I heard it's coming to SLC in 2009 but LA is not too far away... :-)