We've lived in Utah, Nebraska, upper Michigan and now we've settled in Colorado...at least for now! Marley is 10, Isi is 6 and Enzo is 4!

Life is great!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Resolutions (NYR's)

I know, some people are nay sayers when it comes to NYR's. 
They say, "Why does the new year have to instigate change?" 
Well, I say if anytime is as good as the next than WHY NOT at new year's? 
It's a NEW year! 
What better way to convince yourself you can have a new fresh start!

Nontheless, this is for those who do not like New Year's Resolutions.
Saw this on Pinterest and it made me laugh. I had just started this post and was wondering if anyone even cares about other people's resolutions?
 For the record I love to hear about other people's resolutions.
I like to hear what they are changing...maybe a little bit about why...and definitely how!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't always accomplish my NYR's but I don't let that stop me from setting them...and setting a lot of them.

Every year I organize them differently.
Here is how I did it this year.

STOP:
Drinking Soda
We don't usually buy it and have it in our house, but over the holidays we did.
When we eat out, which still is maybe once a week, I like to get a soda.
No more.

Watching so many shows by myself.
I gotta watch The Biggest Loser by myself, Nathan doesn't like it and I love it. That is the perfect show while folding laundry.
Remember that big list of shows I was watching.
Well, some I just stopped watching some...for my health.
Some I finished out the season (to see who won) but, I'm not picking up the new seasons. 

START:

Keeping track of every penny. 
We are already pretty good about keeping track of our pennies but we are going to really track it and see where we can save more.

Read the Book of Mormon daily
I seem to be on again off again a lot....more off than on.
I'm ashamed to say I only got through 1st and 2nd Nephi in 2011.
I want to be more consistent.
And it will help that Sunday School [Sr. Primary] is covering the Book of Mormon this year.

Reading the Children's Friend and Ensign Magazines from cover to cover each month.
December 27th I read half of the January Children's Friend and the next morning I read the other half. 
I can't tell you how much inspiration I got for Primary for the new year. 
What a blessing.
Following a schedule.
Some people hate schedules...sometimes I do. 
But, if I make myself a schedule then I won't get lost and sucked into the internet so much. 
(Blogs, Pinterest, Hulu, Netflix, etc.)
The schedule is flexible but, having a plan is better and safer than no plan.
(Include: hobbies ~ photography practice and tutorials, photoshop practice and tutorials, organization, calling, cleaning...notice cleaning is LAST!

Organizing and dejunking and archiving.
Project room: condense containers by putting stuff in binders, throwing stuff out, and completing projects. 
Books: We have a lot. I need to got through them and get rid of the ones we aren't in love with.
Nathan may or may not be building me a nice sturdy book case...it will help, a lot!
 
CONTINUE:

Reading more books!
My goal is to read 24 books this year!
We will be purchasing a library card in the Soo! 
I think I'll blog about that another day...but it means I can read MORE books!
Family Indexing
I was doing this really well before I got sick.
Each week I would set a goal and would often exceed my goals.
Need to get back to that.

***

I've been thinking about these resolution ideas since Christmas.
I like them. I think they are attainable.

Have you read the first article in the January Ensign.
So positive and uplifting and inspiring.
Go read it, if you haven't.
Here's the first paragraph...

"At the advent of a new year, I challenge Latter-day Saints everywhere to undertake a personal, diligent, significant quest for what I call the abundant life—a life filled with an abundance of success, goodness, and blessings. Just as we learned the ABCs in school, I offer my own ABCs to help us all gain the abundant life."

That article by our beloved Prophet is why I make changes in the new year.
I want a more abundant life!
An abundance of success, goodness and blessings!
Sounds great!
I'll take it!

4 comments:

The Yuan Fam said...

Those are awesome resolutions!! During this break while we were in Cali, it was really easy for me not to watch so much TV..well on the comp...so I'm taking one of your resolutions and making it my own. Only The Biggest Loser, uh, by myself!! Love your face!

Sandy said...

U go girl.

Emily said...

I'm a NON NYR person. Although i'm not anti-goals :) I've been watching the Biggest Loser from season 1 this past month to get me motivated for after baby.... Until then, my only goal is to get the house ready for baby and to endure it all with a smile :)

Jill said...

I liked reading your resolutions. I read the Ensign article you talked about. It was so great! Thanks for suggesting it. I also love watching Biggest Loser. Love you guys!!!