We've lived in Utah, Nebraska, upper Michigan and now we've settled in Colorado...at least for now! Marley is 10, Isi is 6 and Enzo is 4!

Life is great!

Monday, November 26, 2007

Turkey, Stuffing and Gravy

I have a confession to make. I don't like turkey and stuffing or gravy. Every year I try a little just to make sure I still don't like them...and though they are not totally repulsive (they used to be) I can only handle a very little bit. I do LOVE mashed potatoes, corn, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce and everything else at Thanksgiving dinner. But, because I don't like turkey, stuffing and gravy, some have called me unpatriotic! That is way harsh!

Nathan's Uncle smoked a whole turkey this year! I tried some of that and it was pretty good. I still couldn't have much.

The weird thing is...I love chicken. I feel like the textures are pretty similar but, the taste is TOTALLY different.

One of our home teachers suggested we cook our turkey with bacon. They tried basting their turkey with bacon grease a couple of years ago and it was SO GOOD! But, it was only skin deep. So, last year they decided to put bacon in the bottom of the pan AND baste the turkey with bacon grease. That helped to get the flavor deeper. This year they said they were wrapping their turkey in 5 lbs of bacon! I'm interested to find out how good it was...it was probably REALLY good! The funny thing is, that turkey is one of the more leaner meats...but, you add 5 lbs of bacon and that goes out the window. Kinda funny.

Peanuts: Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, guess who makes the gang's Thanksgiving dinner?

Snoopy! With the help of Woodstock.

They made toast with butter and popcorn. They served it with pretzel sticks and what looked to Nathan like Jelly beans and to me like Good and Plenty (pink and white candy coated licorice). Pepper Mint Patty was SO MAD! She yells (in her man voice), "Where's the turkey? Where's the stuffing? Where's the mashed potatoes?" Etc. It was hilarious especially because she had invited herself.


3 comments:

Julie J. said...

The peanuts are so cute. And Turkey is not my favorite. I'd say aof all the things I stuff my face with on Thanksgiving I east the least of Turkey.

Jeanna said...

I enjoy turkey, but for the record I enjoy the turkey wrapped in bacon that they serve at Tocano's also.

Turkey dinner is mostly about stuffing your face with whatever you like, so if you dont' like turkey, no big deal.

Now that I have said that, I am glad to see you are interested in my new blog. Once I get a few more responses I will get everyone signed up and get the thing going!

Matthew Johnson said...

You don't like stuffing, or gravy? You're un-American...........