We've lived in Utah, Nebraska, upper Michigan and now we've settled in Colorado...at least for now! Marley is 10, Isi is 6 and Enzo is 4!

Life is great!

Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Music

My Aunt Kathy and Sister Julie have both blogged about Christmas Music…so, I thought I would give my 2 cents.

It really is just 2 cents because their posts made me realize I need to start collecting great Christmas music!!! I think we only have one MAYBE two CD’s of good Christmas music.

Let me start with throwing out two that make my skin crawl.

#1

Christmas (baby, please come home)
This song makes me cringe when I hear it. I like it, it’s a great song, but when it comes on I have to go through a whole process of memory suppression before I can enjoy it.







I had to sing it in a high school play and a soft wispy, non-solo voice like mine, trying to belt and beg like Darlene Love or Mariah Carey, it just doesn’t work…at all!

In fact, the father of one of my dear friends video taped me singing this song so I could show my sister Julie who was a nanny in New York at the time. For my senior trip, I went to visit her and I played her the tape (you will NEVER find that tape!). I was SO embarrassed that I hid my head in my pillow case, squirming and cringing and trying to plug my ears with the pillow, through the whole viewing.



#2

Christmas Shoes
I LOTHE this song! My LEAST classy companion on my mission, who shall remain nameless, kept this song on repeat through the whole Christmas season. Talk about a sappy, pathetic, song designed just to make people cry. If you’ve never heard it, don’t look it up, it’s detestable. (Sorry for those who like this song…really, I feel sorry for you.)

That’s it for the skin crawling…now for two that I love!

#1
The Marvelous Toy
I’m not even sure it’s an actual Christmas song but they sometimes play it amongst the Christmas songs on the radio, so I’m counting it! John Denver has a good rendition of it but, the first time I heard it, it was on record and sung by Peter, Paul and Mary. I love all the harmonizing and all the fun sounds they include.







#2

Barbara Streisand’s version of Jingle Bells!
Both Kathy (my aunt) and Julie mentioned this one and Julie posted a video of it…I love it! She sings it in a hurry and then nice and slow and then in a hurry. It’s great!

One that I wish I had….but, probably never will.

Our ward youth choir, when I was in high school sang words to Pacelbel’s Canon and I always sing it at the top of my lungs in the car…when I’m alone or if it’s just me and Marley. I think that version is the most beautiful version I’ve ever heard. I wish I had a recording of it. It gets pretty interesting when I sing it alone, because it’s a canon; I have to sing multiple parts all at once. Here are some of the lyrics, to refresh your memory, if you were part of that youth choir.

Born this day in David’s City
Lay within a lowly stall
Was Christ the Lord Emanuel
The Prince of Peace the Great Redeemer

Alleluia
A-lay-lu-ia
Glory be to God
Glory be to God
Mortal flesh awake
Wake and adore Him
Come adore the son of man
The worthy lamb of God

Ahhhh-laaaay-luu-ia
Ahhhhh-laaaaay-luuu-ia

(fast part)
Glory to God in the Highest
And peace be on earth
and good will to mankind
Who on earth dwell
Glory to God in the Highest
And peace be on earth
and good will to mankind
Who on earth dwell

The lyrics alone do not do it justice…but the canon AND the lyrics….heavenly.

That’s my 2 cents and I’m stinkin’ to it!

10 comments:

pillingfamily said...

i love christmas music. some christmas music. jewel has a pretty christmas album that i look forward to pulling out every year. i don't remember this "botched" high school preformace, which means it couldn't have been that bad. you had a great voice in musical theater, so i don't know what you're talking about.

Kathy said...

OK - what is this you being in a high school play? I'm sad we missed it! You have a beautiful voice - I always loved going to the choir performances. The toy song is a riot - one of my roommates - a true die hard Peter Paul and Mary fan - we heard all of their music and that one IS a fun one! But get some new music Becky - you will love what is out there. And do get Barbara!

Julie J. said...

I totally remember you wearing a pillowcase on your head!!! HA! And I will vouch for you that the song didn't sound that great - ON THE RECORDING - but have you ever heard anyone sing on a home movie it it sounds great? NO! Especially not movies shot on the equipment that was available to us over ten years ago now.I'm sure that all the people who got to be in the theater thought youdid a swell job.
I bought the Barbara CD in NY and it went missing while I lived with mom. I thought you took it but now I know Mom is hiding it from me and only listens to it when I'm not around. I just bought it again from Amazon for $6.49. And that included the shipping. Pretty good deal and it's a new CD, just received it last night. It was great to hear the whole thing again. You should get it! One per year.

Julie J. said...

One more comment, Peter, Paul and Mary look and sometimes sound like muppets in this clip.

Becky said...

They TOTALLY do! I couldn't pin point how I felt about how they look and sound but, muppets, perfect description!

pillingfamily said...

hey, i need your address.
email me
elizabethpilling6@hotmail.com

Kathy said...

OK - I'm sure you've all seen this but just in case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY

It's Muppet Show muppets singing their version of Bohemian Rhapsody

and the "band" - you're right - they *are* Peter Paul and Mary (well, rocker P P and M)

Jeanette said...

I HATE that Christmas shoes song too. Seriously hate it. I was just telling Jason that the other day while it was playing on the radio. I can't stand it. At all. You are right - just trying to make people feel bad and cry and everything. Gross. Bleck. :) That's my 2 cents.

eden said...

christmas shoes! ew.

my sentiments exactly. i have come to loathe that song as well! i recently bonded with a girl in my ward over our hatred of that song.

good times.

Anonymous said...

You have nine comments, 10 including mine...I'm jealous, even thought half are from the same peeps or you ;). I know that's not a reason for blogging; the comments are always fun to read though. I AGREE completely about the Barbara song (I didn't put her last name b/c I can't remember how to spell it without back tracking to your post). I LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC. I, like you, wish I had a bigger selection in our home...I will follow the advice of Aunt Kathy and get new music!!!