We've lived in Utah, Nebraska, upper Michigan and now we've settled in Colorado...at least for now! Marley is 10, Isi is 6 and Enzo is 4!

Life is great!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It was Goooooooood!

I got this jar at IKEA. 
 
I thought it would look cool with some of our dry beans in it. 
Then I was at the store and I was walking by the beans and I saw this really cool looking bag of beans with a BUNCH of different beans in it.
I thought it was pretty.
 
But, then I read the package.
CAJUN 15 BEAN SOUP!
We love cajun, creole, and just spice in general.
 And we've been trying to incorporate *more beans in our diet* because they are so very good for you.

So we bought the mix. 
Last night I started the beans soaking.
Last night before bed I pulled out all the bean cases that were floating in the water. 
Today around 3:00 I strained and rinsed the beans and then boiled them for 2.5 hours.
Then I added onions, garlic, sausage, a can of diced tomatoes and added the cajun seasoning packet that came with the beans. 
I have to say that while the beans were boiling, it smelled ick! and toward the end of the boil they looked ick too. 
But, it turned out. 
I would classify it more as a chili than a soup, but it was surprisingly goooooood!
 
And it looks so good in my big jar from IKEA...pre-cooked that is.
 ** That article from webMD is not where we heard about how good beans are for you...but, I thought I'd just attached some evidence. We heard it from Nathan's mom and she heard it from Zonya. Zonya says something like, "Beans suck up cholesterol and send it out the back door...in other words...beans help you get rid of bad cholestorl!"

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Your husband looks soooooo happy. I am happy for you and him. Beans, Beans, the musical fruit. The more you eat the more you toot.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for more soup ideas...this post gave me one! Thank you!

Julie J. said...

You are right. Those beans do look good... In the jar. I could never make it because I can't stand the smell of soaking beans. But you know all about my nose problems.
I heard about how good beans are from this little ditty:
Beans, Beans
They're good for your heart
The more you eat, the more you fart
The more you fart, the better you feel
So let's have beans for every meal.


Truer words were never chanted by a group of ten year olds.

Julie J. said...

Oh, and mom's right. I have never seen Nathan looking so happy.