We've lived in Utah, Nebraska, upper Michigan and now we've settled in Colorado...at least for now! Marley is 10, Isi is 6 and Enzo is 4!

Life is great!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wildflower Days!

It rained.
There was a $10 fee to get the schedule for the day. 
Boo!
We did get in on the wildflower lecture. 
And the wildflower nature hike.
The woman in the red sweatshirt is our friend Robin and that's her dog Dewey.

 

These are my favorite: Dutchman's Breeches
Don't they look like little upside down pants!

Our wildflower expert and lecturer is the woman pointing, on the bridge, with the red coat.
Robin, Dewey, Eric, Lills and Miriam. Our friends! Next time I promise to get a better picture of them.





 



 
 
After we got all we wanted out of the wildflower days we went on to collect leeks!

 
There were TONS! See all the green...pretty much all wild leeks.





The kids camped on the road. You know, the most sensible spot to camp.



These look so cool. Nathan thinks they are called Fiddle Head Ferns. What a cool name!
Moss covered rocks.

 Then we were off to look for Morels - Mushrooms!





Something that looks like it should be in the ocean.
Slugs
Green crusty lichen or moss or something.

Never found any Morels but we found False Morels. To me, those also look like they belong at the bottom of the ocean, too.



 
Ooo! We also found Wintergreen Berries. Who new wintergreen comes from a berry!?! And a red one!?! They were yummy!


Had a great time on the sand dune.
 


 

And someone had so much fun she didn't want to leave.

Until she found out she could roll her way all the way to the car.

Keep going that way!



Sandy Hobbit Feet!
We made one more stop to look for Morels. Nate and I were convinced this was a mushroom.

Then we thought it was an egg.

It's some sort of seed husk. See the hairy seed inside. It kinda looks like a giant dandelion seed.


We didn't find any Morels but we found more Wintergreen berries. Mmmm. Minty Fresh!






I have to say, today was a great day! 
I love adventures!

THE END

4 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

Wow, I feel like I was right there with you! I got my nature fix.
:)

Emily said...

HOLY pictures.... Looks like such a beautiful place! How fun!

Sandy said...

I am so happy to see you getting out. I looks beautiful. I would have paid $10 for that hike.

Julie J. said...

I'm worried about you eating plants you find... Make sure it's what you think it is before you eat it... How are you feeling today?